African Caribbean Graduate Student Association
Welcome to the African Caribbean Graduate Student Association (ACGSA) page. We are a club under the Graduate Student Association (GSA) that is tailored for students from Africa, the Caribbean and/or for those that self-identify as being of African, Caribbean or African American Ancestry. We are affiliated with the African Caribbean Faculty Association of McMaster University (ACFAM) and all our undergraduate club counterparts. This means we are invited and can tap into each other’s networks and community, as well as, support each other.
To create a space for African and Caribbean students to know and interact with each other to give the students a sense of community.
This club was founded in 2017 by a group of graduate students at McMaster from Africa and the Caribbean. They felt the need to develop a community at McMaster for graduate students who come from similar backgrounds and sociocultural contexts as them, that look and have similar socio-cultural interests as them. This also help students learn from their peers from ‘home’, as well as, from other diverse global backgrounds. Since its commencement the ACGSA has developed a sense of community for many students, new and old.
The ACGSA is made up of an executive committee (for all the policy, organizational and administrative task, roles and responsibilities) and the rest of the team are members.
For our events and/or services: There are no additional fees charged to be a member and often, events and services are free (unless stated otherwise). However, the cost of attendance for some events and services, may vary from members to non-members.
NB: The first step for one to become a member is by sending a request to join or by invitation/nomination.
General services and events
Our services and events aim to:
- Create a space for our students to know and interact with each other to give the students a sense of community.
- Advocate for opportunities for our members in McMaster University, Hamilton and Canada.
- Welcome new African and Caribbean graduate students.
- Provide guidance and the information necessary for African and Caribbean students to integrate into McMaster University, Hamilton and Canada.
- Organize informative, educational and social events for African and Caribbean graduate students.
We prefer students to reach to us to assist them with any problems they might have, even if it means our club refers them to the correct resources, person, and/or services. Hence, we are also a ‘safe’ space for our students to share anything.
Current Executive team from the October 2019 nominations:
- President: Tafadzwa Machipisa — She is a PhD student from the Faculty of Health Sciences. Tafadzwa had been a volunteer on the executive council for over a year and had been instrumental to the club, especially in the organisation of various events by the club during this period.
- Vice-president: Kwadjo Otu-Boateng Ntow — He is getting his Masters in Global Health and had also been a volunteer on the executive council for close to a year and been instrumental in the organization of events.
- Financial Secretary: Panashe Mudzi — He started his Masters in Mechanical Engineering in Fall 2019 and joined the executive team as an enthusiastic, new recruit.
- Former president (2018-2019): Anthony Quarshie — He currently is doing a PhD in Chemical engineering and currently, advises the ACGSA. He was nominated and promoted to an executive member of the GSA (end of 2019).
- Former president (2017): Akosua Pepra — She graduated her Masters in Engineering and currently, informally advises the ACGSA.
Photos and documents are linked to our social media accounts.
Disclaimer: We welcome members and attendees from all races, creed, color, gender, class, age, nation of origin, nationality, disability, marital status, religion, veteran status, or sexual orientation – as long as they are interested in things pertaining to the people of Africa (all races and colors), the Caribbean, African Americans and their socio-cultural interests.
Feel free to ask us any questions or connect with us!